
In my Novels and Literature class we just finished, well I finished, reading a book called Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. The book tells the story of a ninth grader, just entering high school named Melinda Sordino who busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, so her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's a secret she's trying not to think about, something about that night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth.
I found the book quite disturbing but good. Melinda talks a lot about high school, and her take on the world. Some I would have to agree with, high school can most definitely be brutal. This book does hold some truth about high school, and this is what made me sad. Sometimes I look around and have to wonder, what are these kids lives really like.
The other day I was catching up with a girl I haven't talked to since probably the ninth grade, I learned that her mother had just died recently from cancer. I felt like and idiot, this girl had been my best friend for two years, we'd done everything together and I didn't even know. This shook me a little, made me kind of sad and I had to stop and think. How many people around me are struggling, in need of help, and I am so wrapped up in my own little world to notice.
Well anyway, the book was good. And maybe I might of cried just a little. I suppose it's a good read to recommend. It is not very long, maybe a couple of hours. Give it try, let me know what you think.
2 comments:
your so insightful. :) haha. and very creative. haha. i just had to comment and say that i lvoe you :) hahaha... bffs forever. (that's two forevers which is longer than one)
haha i spelled love wrong. i'm lucky that i have friends even with how dumb i am
Post a Comment